Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Running Ramblings - Race Updates

Hello!

As many of you probably already know I have signed myself up to run the Balitmore Marathon on October 15th ... and I'm SCARED.

Yesterday I posted about my 16 mile run {which if you missed it you can read it allll about it here} which I'm super proud about -- BUT in reality I'll have to do that 16 mile run again AND add 10.2 miles to it. 16 was tough...26.2 is going to be tougher!

I have 80 something days to prepare myself for the race. I'll be really disappointed in myself if I don't do the race ... or if I do the race and suck at it.  I know...I know I should be proud of myself just by showing up on race and doing the race and finishing it -- but my brain doesn't work like that. I have to run it, run it hard AND get a time I can live with.

I'm already not running as much as I should be. I know it. I should be running 3-5 times a week, but I'm lucky if I get in two times and I'm not in as good of shape as I would like to be ... so I really need to kick it into gear before it's too late for me.  I've been debating with myself about doing a couple half marathons between now and my full marathon race date - so I finally bite the bullet and have decided on doing Riley's Rumble Half Marathon and The Parks Half-Marathon.

Riley's Rumble Half-Marathon - Sunday, August 7th


{via}

I've heard nothing but BAD things about this half marathon. Whenever someone talks about this half they have like a half-smirk on their face like they know some devilish secret about it. And look at the description of it on it's own website:

Riley's Rumble is the evil half that your mother warned you about. Don't be seduced by the lush bucolic countryside of rural Montgomery County. This race will challenge the best runners. If you want the 3 H's (hills, heat, and humidity), this is the race for you. It is a good workout if you're preparing for a fall marathon but Riley's may not be advisable for your first half marathon. As an alternative, consider volunteering for Riley's and then running Parks Half Marathon (our 'better half') which takes place in early autumn when temps are usually significantly cooler.

 The part about it being the EVIL HALF literally made me laugh. I've heard that this race is HOT and HILLY. I also keep hearing the Baltimore Marathon is quite hilly so this race would be good practice for me.

The Parks Half-Marathon - Sunday, September 11th


{via}


Now this race: I've heard good things about it. I had actually signed up for it last year but I didn't end up doing it because I didn't feel like I was in good enough shape for it.  But this year I WILL do it :). The website description is also much nice then the Riley's Rumble one:

The course is unique. Just outside Washington DC, Montgomery County is a community of nearly 900,000 citizens. While the race runs directly through the most populous area of Montgomery County, the vast majority of the course travels through preserved parkland along the Rock Creek Stream Valley. This unique course provides runners with a completely new experience for a major metropolitan marathon. The course features gently rolling hills to a net downhill finish.

Sounds good right? I think so. I have a goal of finising a Half-Marathon in UNDER 2 hours and 15 minutes (I've done two Half-Marathons before ... May 2, 2010: Frederick Half-Marathon and I finished in 2 hrs, 14 mins and 24 seconds and I ran the same race again this year on May 7, 2011 and finished in 2 hrs, 17 mins and 32 second -- I'd really like to CRUSH both those times...)

What about you - Are your a runner? Have you signed up for any good races this year? Have any tips and/or advice you can offer?

Let me know!

~Trish

3 comments:

  1. You can DOOOOO it!!!! :) (and thats the only advice I really have for you in terms of running haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props to you for running! I ran my first (and probably only) 5K last October. And that was it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really admire you for doing those races! I could never do a half marathon right now, but I'd love to be able to run a 5k someday! Good luck with training!!

    ReplyDelete