Thursday, August 25, 2011

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme (mostly) about books and reading.




Sometimes I feel like the only person I know who finds reading history fascinating. It’s so full of amazing-yet-true stories of people driven to the edge and how they reacted to it. I keep telling friends that a good history book (as opposed to some of those textbooks in school that are all lists and dates) does everything a good novel does–it grips you with real characters doing amazing things.
Am I REALLY the only person who feels this way? When is the last time you read a history book? Historical biography? You know, something that took place in the past but was REAL.

Well...the last time I probably read a history book/historical biography was when I was still in school --- in college --- which was 5/6 years ago. 

I was into historical fiction for a hot minute when I was loving Philippa Gregory books. But that's probably the closes I got to anything historical.

I sometimes get the feeling that I SHOULD be reading some history books to educate my mind instead of feeling it with muck & make believe worlds -- but the whole pleasure in reading {for me} is to escape everyday and to get lost in someone else's story.

~Trish

10 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you! As much as I try to get into certain books that contain history, I find myself checking out other fictional works. Life is so busy these days, it's nice to get wrapped up in something that is exciting where it's not entirely real.

    Great post! :)

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday-my-clockwork.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really good history book can get you lost in a different world - the trick is to find good ones. :) I really loved reading about the History of Women from Stone Age to Modern Day - I think every women should read it. So that we can remember just how important we truly are even with generations of men putting us down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I just haven't found the right historical book yet!
    Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many other good historical fictions books out there besides Philipa Gregory. (Sorry, her books bother me!) Give them a try!
    Here is my answer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both true and fiction.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/08/booking-through-thursday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Trish. Thanks for stopping by. I think that it is important to first and foremost, enjoy what you read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Escape is great but some of the true histories are really good reads too. For the most part I stick to fiction but used to read a lot of true...

    Here's Mine: House Millar - BTT

    Aine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heey
    Thanks for stepping by! I completely get what you mean, when I read I want to escape to other worlds as well. However, good historical fiction books do this, and in the end I'd say our history is a great place to get lost in with a book!!
    Hope you have a great weekend,
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, don't knowck the muck and make believe words - they keep us (me) sane and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to read Historical Romances. The story is fiction but real people or events are mentioned. It helps me relate to what is being written. I do admit that when I went back to college, in my late 20's and took American History, everything made more sense and was interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete