Friday, August 26, 2011

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Okay folks - this is my FIRST attempt at writing a book review.
 I don't want to give too much away. I personally hate reading reviews that once you finish reading the review - there's no point of reading the book. And I'll keep it short - I also hate LONG book reviews.


REVIEW:
By Ransom Riggs

Ok, so, let's get right into it -- I had to force myself to finish reading this book. I got right to the last 50 pages and I had no desire to finish this book (I did finish it ... but it took some effort).

I really REALLY wanted to like this book. I love the cover, I love the look of the book, I love the pages, and the pictures. Visually the book is very appealing.

When it comes to the story - there were some good parts. I thought some of the writing was witty and original and all around good but then I'd turn a couple pages and would feel like the writing was boring, and forced. It seemed like the author had these pictures and forced the story to go along with them.

I wanted so much more from this book.
Maybe my expectations were too high.
I think if you have time to read the book, take a trip to the library - or borrow it from a friend. Look at all the pictures, skim thru the story and call it a day.

All-in-All: I give this book 2 stars.
It was "just ok"


Have you read this book? Am I the only one that feels this way?
If you're on the fence of reading this book?

Check out my Teasers for this book


~Trish

8 comments:

  1. I've heard so much hype about this book - it seems really exciting. I loved the video of the author/photographer, traveling to abandoned ruins in Europe for some of the photos. Too bad it didn't do much for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This will taech me to want to read books based upon the covers!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that's too bad it didn't live up to expectations. I'll still give it a read when I finally get it from the library, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a fabulous job here Trish. You gave the positive aspects and was very constructive in the negative. (word of caution....watch repetitive use of ...the book or this book.)Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya! I felt the same way. I really wanted to get into it, and the concept had a lot of promise, but ultimately it just didn't take it there. Read my review if you like, (look under "reflections" on my blog) and you'll find we share a lot of the same thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently reading this now. It's pretty good so far! Hopefully, i'll like it!

    Tia @Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this book a month or so ago, but I really liked it. Well, most of it. I don't think it would have been as special without the photographs though, that was my problem. It bored me a little towards the end, but I liked it even then :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was there any characters that you liked or disliked in the book. how did you feel about the pics in the book. another question, are those personal pics in your header? good review.

    ReplyDelete