Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Teaser Tuesday

I got a big kick out of doing this last week - so I'm excited to do this again this week :)



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

•Grab your current read
•Open to a random page
•Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
•BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
•Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


My Teaser
(again more than 2 teaser sentences but I need more to give you a better glimpse into this book)

"Jonas stood for a moment beside his bike, startled. It happened again: the thing that he thought of now as "seeing beyond." This time it had been Fiona who had undergone that fleeting indescribable change.  As he looked up and toward her going through the door, it happened; she changed. Actually, Jonas thought, trying to recreate it in his mind, it wasn't Fiona in her entirety. It seemed to be just her hair. And just for that flickering instant."

The Giver - by Lois Lowry - page 90

I originally read this book in middle school and I always think back to it from time-to-time, so I'm re-reading it now to see if it is as good now as it was back then.

 Another note: I've been reading A LOT of dystopia lately and thinking back this was my first glimpse into that genre all those years ago -- and I'm just realizing it.

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts on it?

~Trish

21 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I really want to read this book!

    Here's my Teaser Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of this one and once I started book blogging I started hearing about it and thought I should read it. I liked it, but was not crazy over it like a lot of people. I am a hugh Dystopian lover, but for some reason, just not lovin' this one. Enjoy your re-read! Here's my teaser this week:

    http://tracyshappybookshelf.blogspot.com/2011/08/teaser-tuesday-august-9-2011.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been on my 'to-read' list for some time, but I haven't made time to read it. Lucky for me, my book club has it down as a selection for early 2012, so I will be FORCED to make time! Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Giver, oh yes!!
    mine will be up in about ten minutes, lol
    http://sidnebkclubreviewer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this book when I was younger. I think i will have to read it again! Great teaser!
    http://alaskanbookcafe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, The Giver, good teaser.
    mine at http://sidnebkclubreviewz.blogspot.com
    in ten minutes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting teaser! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your teaser. I've been meaning to reread this book for a long time - I love Lois Lowry's writing.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read this book in so long! Great teaser.

    Reading Lark's Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great teaser! I haven't read that book but it does sound like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don’t think my TBR pile will recover from the teasers this week! So many amazing books, so little time. Hope you will stop by and comment on my Clockwork Prince teaser on http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this book for the first time a while ago. Loved it and it's still stuck with me. The ideas presented might seem like they'd never actually come to be but I have to wonder...
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Always happy to meet someone else that loves dystopian fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read this book recently for the first time. And I can't believe I hadn't read it before. It is so good. I posted a review on my blog if you want to read it. Thanks for visiting my teaser today already. =]

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this book ages ago, in middle school and loved it. I think I'm going to have to read it again though.



    Thanks for checking out my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great teaser, I read this a while back and really enjoyed it! Happy Reading :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I own this book, but I have never read it. It seems really interesting, though. Maybe I'll read it.

    - BookBreather

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey! It's Ren from Renahe's Rambles. Great teaser :) I've never read this book, which is weird. I remember it being on a required reading list, but I guess I got home schooled before we got that far on the list :/ Maybe I'll get to read it one of these days...Thanks for visiting my blog & commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My kids read this book for school but sadly I have not read it. I will have to see if I an dig a copy out around here. Your teaser has me very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVED this book in school but haven't read it recently. I realized the same thing (about it being my first taste of dystopia) and I loved it then. No wonder I love them now. Or at least I am starting to. Great teaser.

    Take a look at my TT if you get a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's funny, because I'm going to be reading The Giver soon, I got it from the library in their discard pile, and it looked pretty interesting :) So it looks really cool! Great teaser!

    Louisa

    ReplyDelete