Thursday, September 29, 2011

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday: A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading.



1. What do you think of reading aloud/being read to? Does it bring back memories of your childhood? Your children's childhood?

OMG - is there a soapbox for me to stand on somewhere? I think reading aloud to your children is SOOOOOO important. I think it shapes how the child feels about reading as they grow older. And that time you spend reading to your child every day/night = priceless.  I was read to every night. I still remember some of the books and it made a huge impact on how I feel about reading today.
I also don't mind being read to -- by children. So I like having my little sisters, little cousins and my mentees read to me. It's a good practice for them.


2. Does this affect the way you feel about audio books?

I have a secret to tell you -- and I've only told a few people so keep this on a hush after I admit this ... but ... I audio booked the last two books in the Harry Potter series. So TECHNICALLY I didn't read them -- I listened to them.  
I was on an audio book kick a few years ago. I would go to the library, borrow the disc and then load them onto my ipod and I would sit and listen to them as I crocheted, or played a video game and while I was driving around. 
It's been some time since  I last listened to an audio book - but I have Wicked sitting on my ipod waiting for me when I'm ready to start audio booking again.

3. Do you now have times when you read aloud or are read to?

If my little sisters ask/want me to then I will read aloud to them - but now that they are 9 and 6 ... the 9 year old reads to the 6 year old and I'm not really needed :( .
When I start mentoring this year (probably with a 3rd grader) I will more than likely have that child read to me (I pretend I can't read ... even though they clearly know I can ... but they go along with it and read to me anyway). 
Now...if some grown folk tried to read to me - I will NOT allow that. That's just weird! 

Happy Thursday! 
Trish

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the importance of reading to children. I make it a point to read to my daughter daily, so much so that I'm thinking she might start reading to me soon. Great post! :)

    http://amylunderman.blogspot.com/2011/09/booking-through-theme-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't do this. And I don't know why. I just lose focus whenever I try. Arrr. Audio books are just not for me. Glad you can enjoy them though. Thanks for stopping by the blog Trish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish. I agree. Reading to a child is important and precious time spent. My BTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children loved to be read to.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/booking-through-thursday_29.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that reading to children is very important. I read to my son all the time. I don't ever remember being read to as a child, but I love books. I hope I can pass on that love to him.

    Oh! Thought I'd mention that the first book of The Mortal Instruments series was good. It wasn't as awesome as The Hunger Games, but it was far better than Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha at not having grown people read to you. And I agree with being read to, but I think it also depends on the kid. When we were young, I loved being read to, but my siblings didn't. Now I'm the only book nerd in the family.

    And yes to kids reading to me (I overlooked that) especially when they start making up stuff. I love that.

    Aside: You're reading Thirteen Reasons Why - I loved that book. I shall return to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I wish I'd had that experience! I really wonder what it would have been like to get read to. Personally, even though my parents didn't read to me, I still developed a love for the written word. I don't know where it came from, I just love reading.

    I also might start mentoring soon! I'm going to do a placement for my Mentoring and Counselling course and I also volunteer at a public library as a "Leading to Reading" tutor. It's a very rewarding experience. :)

    ReplyDelete