Friday, September 2, 2011

Follow Friday, TGIF, & Book Blogger Hop


FINALLY - Friday. Yay!

Link-up with Parajunkee - HERE


Q: If you could change the ending of any book (or series) which book would you choose and to what?

I would probably change the ending to The Giver by Lois Lowry.
I read this book 10+ years ago (and really liked it then) and recently re-read and didn't like it QUITE as much.
(Spoiler Alert: skip this part of this post if you haven't read the book)
The Giver - by Lois Lowry
The end of the book is set up so the reader can interpret what ever they want - it's open ended. As the reader you can decide what's going to happen to Jonas and the baby next -- and that's ... annoying.

Here's the last lines of the book (pg 179):
"Behind him, across vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left, He thought he had music too. But perhaps it was only an echo."

Puh-leaze. Initially I thought the main character & baby dies ... but if you read on to what the author says about the ending she says she's "surprised & disappointed" when people think Jonas and the baby die...but if you leave a book opened-ended the way she does then what's with the surprise & disappointment?

The story itself is good but I would've changed the ending to something like:

"Behind him, across vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left and from where he knew would never return. Ahead of him, he saw the lights and heard the music and he knew he found the place as to where he now belonged."


Eh? What do you think?

Link-up with Ginger - HERE
Q: Making a Difference: Which books(s) would you put in the hands of today's teenagers in hopes of making a difference in their lives? 

This is a great question. Books played a big roll in my life. I always enjoyed reading ever since I was a young child. I have to admit I WOULDN'T pick any specific book for today's teenagers. I would give them the tools/means to pick out their own books. Everything affects people differently and what struck a cord with me, may not do the same for someone else. And do you remember how it felt to have someone pick out the books you had to read (in school for example) -- those type of readings aren't enjoyable. So I would just let today's teens pick their own books - as long as they are reading and enjoying it -- who cares what the book is?

Link-up with Jen - HERE
Q: What are you most looking forward to this fall/autumn season - a particular book release? Halloween? The leaves changing color? Cooler temperatures? A vacation?

First of all - let me just put this on the table: I am NOT looking forward to the fall. Want to know "why"? ... well since you asked -- do you know what happens after fall? WINTER. And do you know what Winter means? SNOW - and do you know what that means -- it means MISERY! Ugh. I don't like Fall just because I KNOW Winter is going to follow. If we could go from Summer to Spring and then back to Summer ... I'd be happy. 

But, I realize it doesn't work like that. BLAH. But on a positive note - I'm looking forward to going to see my little sisters in St. Louis in November. My girls are getting so big! M - is now in 4th grade and C - is in 1st grade and is missing her two front teeth (so dang cute)! I have seen them since 4th of July so I'm super excited. 

I'm also looking forward to Turkey-Day. Just because I'm ready to stuff my face with Turkey, Ham, Mac & Cheese, Sweet Potatoes, Greens - OMG YUM. Is your mouth watering?


Okay - that's all for this post. This is one wordy post - more so than normal!
I hope you have a good long weekend!
Happy Friday!
~Trish

27 comments:

  1. I've never read the novel before, but good answer!

    Happy Friday!

    Shaunna
    Scarlet Letters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by!

    Nikki @ Books Most Wanted

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh lord i HATE winter also! I am very very very cold nature and winters and even fall weather are kinda brutal for me.

    i am going to have to read the giver again. like you i probably havent read it in 10 or so years.
    and yum i want some turkey and mac/cheese right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New Follower!

    I like your blogheader, it is really cool! and I haven't read The Giver, though everyone says it amazing. I hear they might make a movie of it, so before they do, I'll have to read it.

    ~V

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that teens should be allowed to pick their own books. Of my reader friends, those of us given freedom of choice as teens are the ones who still love to read. I read all the time, but the quickest way to get me to dislike a book (even as an adult) is to make me read it.

    My FF is here if you'd like a look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Giver was a fabulous book. I had thought they died at the end too. I like your ending better. I'm one of those weird people that like the winter. I don't do well in the heat of the summer. Have a great long weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower!

    Great post! I completely agree with you!! That ending is so very vague!

    Here's my post: http://tiny.cc/h97im

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping in to say "hello!" Thanks for visiting my blog. Great answer. I haven't read that one yet.
    I'm a new follower. :)
    ♥ Cameo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This week’s question is perfect for Labor Day weekend with the “official” end of summer and all.

    I’m all about fall! I love all four seasons and I’m sorry to see summer go (I hope to get in a few more swims in my pool) but I’m also amped up for Autumn.

    Why?

    For most of the same reasons we all like autumn – fall foods, Halloween, the chill in the air, changing leaves and candy corn. But I’ve got a scary slant to why I’m angling for autumn. Hop on over to my book blog at http://www.howardsherman.net to read all about the murder, mayhem, seriously spooky stuff and even some BSP!

    Happy Labor Day Weekend!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like my endings to be obvious too! :)

    I'm a new follower. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like snow either...actually scratch that I love snow, as long as it only falls on the lawns and houses and none on the roads! Just awful for traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopping through. I never thought Jonas died. Perhaps b/c I was so young when I read it. I didn't even think of it as open ended until my mother read it when I was in grad school and thought Jonas died.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a new follower!
    Hope you will stop by and check out my new multi-author blog 'The Writers Voice' with myself, Kristie Cook, Jamie Magee, Kim Richardson, Keary Taylor, Victoria Simcox, Jessica Sorensen, Brenda Pandos, Samantha Young, Jayde Scott, Megg Jensen, Danyelle Leafty and guest authors!

    The Writers Voice
    "Where you get to know the people behind the pages."


    If you suggest your favorite author in the comments we will see if we can contact them for an interview, guest post or other exclusive content!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://ourbooksourvoice.blogspot.com/
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. New follower hopping by!

    I enjoyed The Giver, but I agree, terrible ending.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree completely about not picking out the specific books for teens but giving them the tools to pick there own!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  16. New follower! Stopping by to say hello. I haven't read the giver yet, but i want to!

    -Kat
    http://katmuntser-reviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. No...I love open-ended endings. The author doesn't have to do all the work! (hahaha....) Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your alternative ending! I'm impressed =)

    Old follower hopping through!

    April
    My Friday Hops

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the fall but I am not usually a winter person, but this summer has been miserable in Texas and I am actually looking forward to the cold. Your Thanksgiving comments make me hungry! Isn't that the best meal ever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree I hate Winter, but love Fall. I wish it would go Spring, Summer, Fall then start over none of the white stuff. Thanks for stopping by following back.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just dropping by for the blog hop. Have a great fall, just try not to think about the season that follows it. ;)

    http://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2011/09/expectations-hmm.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for visiting!
    About your winter hate, I'm sure one wouldn't love spring so much if it hadn't been a long, cold, dark winter before it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heey
    Thanks for stopping by! Open endings are always annoying since no one ever really agrees with one another!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good Lord, I hate winter too. I'm just not made for the cold. You'd think it wouldn't be that bad since I live in the South, but it gets too cold for me, even here.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I'm with you about winter. Although it doesn't snow in San Diego, it can get really cold. One year it was so cold I could see my breath in the house! I enjoyed the cold weather when I moved it but I am over it now!

    Happy reading, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  26. I see your point on the Giver. It would have been nice to have a more definitive answer. Great choice.

    PS Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete