Friday, September 16, 2011

Follow Friday, TGIF, & Book Blogger Hop

It's FINALLY Friday.
Hoorray!
C'mon 5:01 pm -- that's all I ask for :-)

Link-Up w/Parajunkee - HERE

Q: It's that pesky magic book fairy again! She has another wish: What imaginary book world would you like to make a reality?

I feel like what I'm about to say is going to be a popular answer today ... but I can't think of any other option - clear choice is Harry Potter - duh. All the magic and wonder and fantastical stuff that's available to those kiddies -- me want it!








Link-up w/Jennifer - HERE
Q: As a book blogger, how do you introduce yourself in your profile?

um...I don't introduce myself in my profile...not really - I have that little blurb in the "About Me" portion but that's about it and that took me forever to write! I think I may revisit that portion and give it some
thought.  Do you have any suggestions/tips for what to include?






Link-Up w/Ginger - HERE

Q: Book Disappointments: Have you ever come across a book you were so stoked to read, but it failed miserably in your eyes?

I like this question! It sucks when you're so hyped up to read a book and when you do it -- sucks. 



I was BEYOND excited to read: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. When I went to the bookstore to buy it ... it was all sold out -- which I took as a good sign. I ended up ordering it online and - I didn't love it. I didn't even really like it. I wouldn't say it failed miserably - but I definitely was disappointed. I think I'm one of five people who didn't like it but....I just expected so much more.




I was recommended Uglies by Scott Westerfeld based on some of the other books I've read and enjoyed and I had high hopes for this one. But ... it wasn't that - interesting. It was just - eh. Alright. Again, I wouldn't say it failed miserably but it definitely left me disappointed. I didn't even have the desire to read the rest of the books in the series, and I am one gal that loves series of books (esp. when I can't get enough of a particular character in just one book)

I know when I hop around today I'm going to see books that I LOVED on other people's disappointment list! Which I know I'll get a kick out of! What about you? Did you LOVE one of the books I just labeled as disappointments?!

Happy Friday, Happy Hopping!
Trish

24 comments:

  1. Aw, man...you're the second person I've seen who was disappointed with Miss Peregrine's. This makes me sad cause I just bought it and have high hopes for it. :( At least it'll look nice on my shelf, right?

    Happy TGIF!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur, Home for Peculiar Children, yikes and I read an review of this book on another blogger page last month too.
    Your about Moi is fine!!
    I just don't want a world of Harry Potter, lol. nope i didnt read the books but have seen one or two of the movies while visiting relatives/friends.
    Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!

    I'd love a day or a few hours in Harry Potter's world! I can't say I have any tips for a profile, as I don't have one - I think I need to remedy that. I've heard a lot of praise for both the books you mentioned but I haven't read them yet myself, now I'm really interested to see if they'll live up to the hype or I'll have the same reaction you did.

    Anja @ http://reading2011.blogspot.com/2011/09/book-blogger-hopfollow-fridaytgif_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Uglies series has been recommended to me in more than one occasion. Interesting to read that it's not that well received by everyone.

    New follower btw :)

    Here's my post: http://www.jjireads.com/2011/09/tgif-and-flove-friday-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if its a popular answer, its still a great one! I would love to see Hogwarts! :)

    My FF- Book Briefs

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would totally pick harry potter also.

    have you read any of the stephanie plum series by janet evanovich? (i'd probably pick this one too) i love the series..some of the books i can read in 2 days then there's other that have taken me 2 months. ahh!
    funny what we like and dont like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by! I'm definitely a new follower! But I'm sad you didn't like Uglies :( It's one of my favorites!

    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by! I guess we just think alike with the whole potter thing. Even though I didnt do the whole disappointment thing, I must say I LOVED Uglies. OMG how could you not!!! I must admit though, it took me a while to get in, and once I did, I just could not read that fourth book, Extras. I just didnt like the whole extra thing. It reminded me of the 2nd and 3rd Matrix's. It probably is good, but once he flies up in the sky like a superhero, what else do you need? (I must admit that I loved the 2nd and 3rd Matrix's, but I couldnt figure out what else to compare it to)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read either of your choices but I see a lot of people liked Miss Peregrin's. I'm not sure I want to put it on my TBR yet.

    Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! I was hoping to ead Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs with my book club in the upcoming months! It's not good??

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. You answered those questions exactly as I would. The Harry Potter world is my favorite. I still dream about living in that world. I also recently finished Uglies and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and both were disappointing.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Visiting from FF. HP does seem to be a popular answer and I guess I'll have to read them one day. I'm your newest follower and would love for you to visit me when you get a chance.....

    http://wowfromthescarfprincess.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday_15.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again, looks like I'm not the only one rewriting her profile tonight! Harry Potter's world is great, but I'm trying to think of somewhere else...I really liked "Lord of the Rings" world...well parts of it. The Shire especially.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This week’s Book Blogger Hop really threw me a curveball.

    That’s because I don’t call myself a book blogger. I never even considered myself a book blogger. Sure I blog about books and book-related topics week after week. But for some reason I never saw the label of “book blogger” applying to me.

    If you’re wondering why then please hop on over to my blog and find out – http://www.howardsherman.net

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so cool to find another Trish :) I see that we even have similar tastes in books. Devil in the White City and Peculiar Children are both on my TBR shelf

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for stopping by. I'm here to return the FF favor ;-)
    Happy Friday!
    I'm not a Potter fan, but heay lol to each his own :-)
    _yay_ #BookthatThing

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your profile! I think it's hilarious. Don't change a thing about it. Seriously!

    You didn't love MISS PEREGRINE's? I did, even though I wasn't sure I was going to. I love that it's so creepy and unique. It was a fun read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This week’s Follow Friday question is a hoot! In typical Howard Sherman fashion my answer isn’t a book world. No way. Uh uh.

    I picked an imaginary UNIVERSE.

    You know how the saying goes – if you’re going to dream, dream big!

    And I did! Follow me back to my blog and explore this imaginary universe with me – http://www.howardsherman.net

    Thank God it’s Follow Friday!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great blog, I'm now following you :]
    Here's my post: http://tiny.cc/0jdts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Harry Potter is a pretty popular choice today! Thanks for stopping by!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a great weekend.

    ~Kristin @ Better Read Than Dead

    ReplyDelete
  21. New follower via book blop hop hoping you will follow us back at http://www.beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com thks in advance xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! Hopping on through ... I've always wanted to read Miss Peregrine's ... now I don't know! I will definitely borrow from the library if I still want to read it, though! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The world of Harry Potter would be amazing to live in! Great pick!

    I liked Peculiar Children, but I definitely was expecting something much different and much more creepy!

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete