Monday, September 12, 2011

Parks Half Marathon

Oh, weekend ... where have you gone?! 
I think I have a case of the Mondays!

Anyhoo. This weekend I ran my second "practice" half marathon this training season 
and I'm feeling pretty good.


{via}


It was a really pretty course thru Rock Creek Park, Ken-Gar Palisades and Capitol Crescent Trail. 
Some parts were hilly, some muddy, some parts were STUFFED with people that you had to try seriously hard not to get boxed in. But all-in-all this was a good race.

part of the path...{via}
This was our 2nd practice half marathons for my marathon training group.
We were instructed not to "race" the race. With about a month left to my official running race day, they don't want us to risk injury by racing.  
This was a chance for us to practice our pre-race evening routines. 
My routine is simple:
1. Start hydrating 2 days in advance -- TONS of water and Sports Drink
2. Carb Load -- I do this with a spaghetti dinner
3. In bed by 9:15-9:30pm
Then in the AM I just eat a protein bar and lace up my shoes.

Even though this wasn't a real race for me - I'm still happy with my time.
Unofficially I did 2 hours & 16 minutes (according to my watch).

Splits from my Garmin

My average pace was 10:22 a mile (YAY! My pace is 10:30) and I had some less than 10 minute miles sprinkled in there AND AND AND I had to stop for a porta-john break. 
 Which didn't look like it hurt my time much. 

 
Anyway. I'm feeling gooood and proud and I got some good swag:

Me: Pre-Race
I don't have any pics post race. But I know I looked FAN-TAS-TIC!

Ok, so that's my Parks Story! 
I hope you have a good week!

Trish

2 comments:

  1. Good job, girl! Super proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS! So proud of you! Isn't it the best feeling post-race? Knowing that you jsut kicked butt and ran 13.1 miles :)

    ReplyDelete