Monday, October 24, 2011

Musing Mondays ::: Audio Books

This week's musing asks ...

           Do you listen to audiobooks? Why, or why not?



I have to admit that in the past - I have listened to audiobooks. I use to like to get them from the library and load them up on my ipod and sit and listen to them while I was driving or while I crochet and/or while I played Tetris (YES..I sat in front of the television with headphones on playing tetis on a game console. LOL).

I have listened to Harry Potter - books 6 & 7 on audiobook -- which means ... technically - I didn't READ the Harry Potter books. I'm ashamed to admit that -- kinda.



I also audiobooked Wicked by Gregory Maguire.  I REALLY wanted to read it. I bought the book, tried to read it numerous times but I just couldn't get into it. So I tried the audiobook version -- but I couldn't get into that either.

I do have a couple other audiobooks on my ipod that I have available whenever I feel the need. But it's been a couple years since I had the desire to listen to one. My Grandmother listens to audiobooks in the kitchen when she's cooking and/or sitting there clipping coupons and stuff -- that'll probably be me one day. I can see it in my crystal ball...I don't know how I feel about that yet.

I AM embarrassed to admit that I have listened to audiobooks though. I don't know why.
Maybe because I feel like it's kind of a cheat. Can you say you "read" a book ... if you technically listened to them?

Should I feel embarrassed about that?!

~Trish

16 comments:

  1. Hi, Trish, Thanks for stopping by/commenting on my blog.

    And no, I don't think you should be embarrassed at all! Telling stories predates novels by zillions of years -- so in some ways it's more authentic to listen to someone tell a story than to read a book, right?

    If my novels ever take off to the point where putting them in different formats was justified I'd definitely consider converting them to audio . . . hmmm, maybe I should any way? I wonder what's involved . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a cheat haha :) I'm kinda curious how the Harry Potter books would sound in an audoibook format! Although I don't really like audiobooks either, I get distracted too easily!
    Here's my MM post
    Vicky @ Books, Biscuits & Tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wicked is a strange one. Can't say I truly enjoyed it either.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/10/musing-mondays_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, I do not listen to audio books. Although, I've always wanted to. I've always thought that maybe it would help me concentrate more on what I was reading. It would be really great for exercising. It's just sooo hard to find the time and sit down and read. Well, maybe next time I will! Honestly, I never really remember to check the audiobook selection.

    Happy Monday,
    Tammy (& Mike)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not cheating. Listening to audio books allows your hands to be free so you can get some other stuff done. I know people who listen to them driving to work and at work when they can. I have never listened to audio books. I've tried listening to some read over podcasts, but it's too slow for me. I'm a fast reader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting, that you feel it is 'cheating'. yes, it is different than real reading, but not necessarily less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not think it is cheating to listen to an audio book. If a book is a chunker (500-700 pages) book, I really like listening to it, compared to reading it. However, when listening to a book, I want no distractions, I want to be in my reading corner, by myself, so I can really listen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We might just be reading sisters! I hated Wicked and always seem to be in the minority. Loved the play, put the book down (and I rarely give up on a book).

    Thanks for visiting my blog today. Glad to have found yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol I don't think its cheating. However I don't think that if I can't get into a book by reading it, I will like it anymore if I listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No audiobooks here! Never really had the urge to listen to a book, I like the peaceful quiet I get when I'm reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for stopping by. I really have but unless it's read by the actors in the movies that some books are made into then i just can't read, lol. I've tried several times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think it's cheating either. It's just another method to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nah, I don't see it as cheating! The words are just going into your ears instead of your eyes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trish, I think you're the first person I've met who "listened" to the complete Harry Potter series. That must have been a big time commitment - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wicked - now that's one musical I want to see. Wonder how it compares to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I listen to books on audio especially when I am driving. I don't usually listen to books that I really want to read though. I don't think of it as cheating because they are work. They are sooo long.

    ReplyDelete