Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why

Okie..Dokie...Pokies. I feel the need to explain that this is only my second review I've posted to my blog. and ... I'm NERVOUS {because I want to do a good job}.  I also feel the need to say I HATE really long book reviews. I know I personally like short & sweet reviews that tell me if I should read the book or not.

so...here we go:

By: Jay Asher

GoodReads Synopsis:

 Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

My {ever - so - important} Thoughts: 
I have to say - THREE things/situations in this book surprised me. No..don't worry I'm not going to tell you what those 3 things were - but how often do you read a book and you are "surprised" by what you read? Me? Not so much. Most of the books I've read I can kind of GUESS what happens next but with this book some of the situations caught me off guard and will probably linger with me for awhile ... and THAT in my book - is a good thing.

Thirteen Reasons Why has two voices - Hannah Baker tells her story while we also hear Clay Jensen's thoughts & reactions as he's hearing the story of a girl that he maybe...possibly could've saved.

This book gives you that "what if" question to life..."What if I did this differently"... "what if I did that differently" - it's a situation where you can basically tourture yourself to death with questions and possible new scenerios to save someone.

Teenage suicide is SUCH a huge issue recently -- and it's super sad. I alway say I wouldn't want to be a teenager this day and age -- and when you read this book you'll probably say the same thing. The situations were just so REAL seeming. You can visualize this happening (well maybe not the tapes being sent out) but you can easily visualize the events that lead to Hannah Baker commiting suicide. The book is very believable.

I can't say I enjoyed this book just because of the topic and I'm having a hard time deciding if I even liked the book. I mean it's well written. It's believeable. It's different and it's chopped full of good things. I didn't dislike it.

What it boils down to is... Add it to your TBR pile.
And get to it when you get to it. I wouldn't make it a priority, but I wouldn't NOT read it.
Does that make sense?

Let me know your thoughts! Would you read this based off my review?
I don't want to discourage you - afterall it IS a good read. I just wouldn't rush to the book store right this second to get it...

~Trish

5 comments:

  1. I probably won't, not because of your review, but because of the content. This is going to sound rash- but I am not a fan of books like this. A chick kills herself, and sends tapes to a boy telling him he is one of the reasons? That can mess a teenager up!

    I feel like as a teen that would messed me up. In fact I think I wouldn't have listened to the tapes.

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an important issue, and I can understand how you'd feel that way about the book. It's not at the top of my TBR list, but hearing so much about it, I'll get to it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading books like this have kept me abreast of how teen and young adult feel. Maybe thats why I am a huge fan of memoirs too. I am definitely going to place this on my 2012 Book Buy list. Thanks for the review. I also read the teaser tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I like that you were honest, and yes with a gruesome topic like that it's often HARD to read, especially when bad things happen. :) I'm glad it made you think though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I agree with you, it's definitely worth reading just not something that made me stop everything.

    ReplyDelete