Saturday, November 26, 2011

REVIEW ::: City of Bones

SO, I finally hopped on the Mortal Instruments train and took a ride...

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know.  {via}

MY THOUGHTS:::

Hmmm. I'm not sure where to start with this one. 
I'll be honest and admit that I DID go on and buy books 2 & 3 of this series BUT this first book left me a little unsettled. And if you read this book you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. DON'T WORRY I'm not going to tell you the twist of this book -- but it's bothersome.  To me at least.
I'm hopeful that in the second book they untwist this twist in the first couple chapters (I won't hold my breath). 

 I had a couple instances when I laughed out loud at the dialogue between Clary and her BFF Simon. And at first I was excited to see another book with another love triangle (Twilight...Hunger Games...) - who doesn't love two guys in love with the same girl? 

I enjoyed the writing, I enjoyed the story and I actually liked some of the characters.  Yes -- only some. I'm still debating which ones exactly but I liked them enough to read the next book.

Overall I would say the book was 'good'. Not my favorite YA but it was decent. 
I will definitely read the the rest of the books in the series.

I give this book:

Did you read this book?
What did you think?

If you haven't read this book -- Do you think  you will?

I can't wait to hear what you think of it!
~Trish

Here are my teaser tuesday posts for this book -- in case you missed them :)

2 comments:

  1. I felt the same way. I disliked the twist. The author could have done something else, anything else, really. I read all the books, but The Hunger Games are FAR better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this asap! My friend told me about them in 2009! Gahh

    ReplyDelete