Tuesday, April 2, 2013

{Audio} Book Review: The House Girl

The House Girl
By Tara Conklin
Performed by: Bahni Turpin

via
Click HERE for a tease
Click HERE for synopsis

My thoughts on the story:
Overall it was a good story. This book alternates chapters voices/point of views with the two main characters of the story: Josephine (the slave/house girl from 1852) and Lina (the lawyer from 2004) which is something I LOVE in books. The whole time you're reading all you want to know is: What happens to Josephine?!
The author is VERY descriptive. You can picture the abuse, you can picture the plantation and you can picture Lina pouring over information as she learns more and more about Josephine. I LOVED Josephine but I found Lina .... annoying. 
AND SPOILER ALERT the ending sucks. 

My thoughts on the performance:
I liked the performance. The narrator literally gave every character their own voice. Which helps with the story line. Especially since some characters are a bit...wordy. She gave Lina this annoying/dumb/airhead voice which is probably the main reason I disliked Lina.

Overall:
I enjoyed this book. I listened to it in the car while I'm out working (I'm in sales) so it gave me a reason to look forward to the long drives to see clients.  I originally gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads. And I'm debating if I should change it to 3.5-4 stars. It was a good story (at least for the first 3/4ths of the book).

I'd recommend it. 
Get it from the library, or get it at a discounted rate (I got it on audible for $7.49), or borrow it from a friend. 


Sidebar: Does listening to an audiobook count as reading it?! 


~Trish

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I might skip this one. I hate books that have bad endings. It's such a letdown.
    And I think listening to a book counts as "reading"...at least in that you know the story, processed it in your head and formed thoughts about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never have time to listen to a book on cd or something... Though it does take me about an hour to get into work. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely counts. I enjoyed this one and didn't notice the wordiness of the characters. Maybe it's because I read it in print form.

    ReplyDelete