Friday, December 13, 2013

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

I FINALLY finished Insurgent by Veronica Roth.

From Goodreads:

One choice can transform you, or destroy you.

Every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves, and herself, while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.


Read my tease here.

It took me a really long time to get into this book. I remember LOVING Divergent and being really excited for this book to come out but then, I think I waited too long to read this one after reading Divergent.   There is NO recap in book 2 from book 1 and I forgot so much of what happened in the previous book, so the first 10-15% of Insurgent I was lost. Lost in the story and then I lost interest in wanting to read it.

I put this book down for MONTHS and finally last week (while on the plane) I decided to make it a priority to finish it while on vacation.  Once I got past trying to remember what happened in book 1 the story started moving along for me.

I have to say I didn't LOVE this one as much as I loved Divergent book 1. It lost some of it's magic and I feel like I didn't like Tris as much and/or any of the other characters. Let's be honest - book 1 is A LOT to live up to ... and book 2 fell short for me .... until the last page.

The last page sparked my interest, so I will read book 3 just to see how things end (and in hopes that book 3 will answer the WHY questions I have from books 1 & 2).



Have you read this? Do you feel the same as I do or am I being too harsh. I think if there was a recap I would've given this book more love.

~Trish

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how we each would have felt if we had read this book right after Divergent and didn't read any other books that were similar in genre. I agree that this book (and the 3rd) dont live up to the awesomeness that was book 1. Hopefully Book 3 answers some questions for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! It didn't do it for m - I didn't like Tris that much anymore, and the reasoning behind the factions seems pretty illogical to me.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book 3 does another a lot of questions - but it raises a lot more that we're never going to get an answer to. I really liked 'Insurgent.' I thought it was an exciting novel, just one twist after another.

    ReplyDelete