Wednesday, January 29, 2014

ACL Reconstruction Surgery: Update

As of Tuesday it has been TWO weeks since my ACL reconstruction surgery {see my post here for tips and info about the surgery} - and this time has gone by REALLY fast.
 


I have to tell you that I am feeling quite SMUG with myself. 
One thing you should know about me is I am a BIG baby when it comes to pain - I mean paper cuts kill me. I anticipated being on my death bed after surgery -- and to my surprise and delight ... I wasn't!
 
Now, don't get me wrong - it's not a walk in the park ... I mean literally ...  nobody wants to walk in the park with crutches and your leg locked into a straight position but I would say that my pain probably never climbed past a 5 on the scale of 1-10 (ten being: kill me now).  I did have two instances where I thought I could go on with out the pain pills during the first week - I was wrong.
Lesson: Don't let your pain get out of control. Just go ahead an manage properly by taking your pills as scheduled...at least for the first few days.
 
Here is my recommendation for you Post-Op:
 
DO THE EXERCISES THEY TELL YOU TO DO!
 
It has made a big impact on my recovery. My Doctor and the Physical Therapist were quite pleased with the flexibility I have already gained back in my leg.

I attribute that to doing the sets of bending and stretching they outline for you post op.  The PT said that he has dealt with people who have had ACL surgery and 2 weeks later can still NOT extend their leg fully. 
I'm not having that. My goal is to get rid of my damn crutches by the end of this week aka I'm determined to get rid of my lame limp!
 

To hear two professionals be impressed (Dr. Miller said that I was a "Rock Star"... I mean we all already knew that but it's still really good to hear) and the physical therapist tell me how happy he is makes me stand up straighter .... especially since I know my tolerance for pain is zero.
 
Two weeks out - I'd say my pain is at a 1-2 level on the scale. Having my leg down all day is bothersome (so I have a bin to prop it up on while I'm at work) and wearing the thigh to ankle brace is annoying too -- especially at bed time but I'm getting thru and I'm hoping to be in good walking shape for my buddy Jenn's wedding!
 
I keep debating if I should share my post-op pictures with you guys - would you want to see it?
It's not gruesome. My knee is more swollen, ugly and ashy then anything else but my incisions are teeny tiny (thanks to an awesome surgeon). I'm going to post them below. If you think you can't handle seeing it just skip to the bottom and leave me a comment!













My life for the next 6+ weeks:

Physical therapy 2x a week and at home exercises: 



~Trish

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you're doing a GREAT job of taking care of yourself and making sure you're in tip top shape for all of your daily work activities....and down the line, walking in my wedding!! EEK! :) So glad you're doing well and that it hasn't been TOO painful for you. I'm a big baby too (you know this) so I feel your pain....no pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad to hear you are doing well..I had this surgery and man the exercises were tough at least for me...not much pain, but more of a discomfort..I believe you will be just fine for your friend's wedding..many blessings

    ReplyDelete