Wednesday, February 19, 2014

READING: Ophan Train - Yay? or Nay? I say....

...YAY!
 
Looking for something good to read {or listen to}?
 
I have something right up your ally:
 
 
 
Read a tease HERE.
 
What it's all about {via Amazon}:
 
Penobscot Indian Molly Ayer is close to “aging out” out of the foster care system. A community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping Molly out of juvie and worse...
As she helps Vivian sort through her possessions and memories, Molly learns that she and Vivian aren’t as different as they seem to be. A young Irish immigrant orphaned in New York City, Vivian was put on a train to the Midwest with hundreds of other children whose destinies would be determined by luck and chance.
Molly discovers that she has the power to help Vivian find answers to mysteries that have haunted her for her entire life – answers that will ultimately free them both.
Rich in detail and epic in scope, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline is a powerful novel of upheaval and resilience, of unexpected friendship, and of the secrets we carry that keep us from finding out who we are.
 
 
What I liked:
 
- The alternating voices/time periods
-The way Molly's life and Vivian's life seem to go together and the way their friendship develops into a way that helps each other
-The story of Orphan Trains in general is new to me. Sadly I didn't know this was a real thing.
-The ending ... although I wanted more!
-Although it annoyed me at first: on the audiobook the narrator reads with an Irish accent. Took me time getting use to but after a few hours I started to like it.
 
What I disliked:
-The Irish accent (at first)
The story could've dove deeper into certain situations for both characters but if you're just looking for a good/easy read - than this one is for you!
 
4 stars!
 
~Trish


4 comments:

  1. How interesting you listened to the book, I read it and loved it. I could see the accent being annoying for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Trish - I'm adding this one to my GoodReads list! Sher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does sound interesting. I keep saying i'm going to try audio, i need to be in my car for that or else i just cannot doing it sitting at home, nope. very unsuccessful attempt. traveling in car at night may be another way to go.

    ReplyDelete