Thursday, June 12, 2014

30 Things: #9 List 10 people who have influenced you


9. List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
 
 
 
1. My Mom: Incredible strength and independence. How could I NOT be influenced by her? She grows every day as a person and it's incredible to watch and be a part of it.
 
2. My Dad: Such patience and a warm heart. I wish I had more of his heart and patience. Maybe it's something I can learn as he continues to influence me.
 
3. My little sisters (C & M) such beauties and personalities and the blank slate that I get to watch them fill up every day. It makes me re-evaluate some of my own thoughts and decisions.
 
4. Poets like Langston Hughes, Maya Angelou and Nikki Giovanni. I would walk to the library and camp out in the poetry isle just to read their words.  I haven't read them in years, but I remember the feelings I would good and the inspiration I would get to write my own poetry.
 
5. Troy. The way he works with children - so inspiring to me. He has influenced me to treat children like people and not see them as the crumb snatchers I thought they were before. Troy's motto "There's no such thing as a bad child...". Changed the way I thought of lil kids.
 
6. The Author(s) and thoughts behind "The Secret" - thoughts are power. Never thought of that. Makes me change my tone when I'm having negative thoughts. Wouldn't have even considered this if I hadn't watched the movie or read the book.
 
7. Civil Rates Movement people. I wonder what kind of person would I have been if I was born during the civil rights movement. Would I have gotten on the busses? Did sit-ins? Go to Rallies? I have no idea but when I read the books and watch the documentaries I think of how incredible these people were. How brave.
 
8. Me. I influence me. Am I allowed to say that? I have a strong sense of self so I have to make sure thing things I do...are good for me.
 
9. Friends - I have some incredible friends and as they get married, have babies, get promotions, work hard, stay home - whatever: I'm influenced by their decisions. And I TRY not to compare my lives to them but when I see them move in the "right" direction I can't help but to feel influenced.
 
10.  TBD
 
I'm influenced by a lot of things and people. This will be a continuous list for the rest of my life.
 
Who influences you?
 
For my 30 Things 1-8...Go HERE.
 
~Trish

2 comments:

  1. This is a great list--you have some wonderful people in your life! I'm glad that I have YOU in mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your list <3
    Jackie @ No Bent Spines

    ReplyDelete