Monday, June 23, 2014

{Audio} Book Review: Queen Sugar

I haven't been to good at writing my reviews/recommendations lately but I have to with this one:


Queen Sugar by Natalie Baszile 
Narrated by Miriam Hyman

Publisher's Summary:

A mother-daughter story of reinvention - about an African American woman who unexpectedly inherits a sugarcane farm in Louisiana.
Why exactly Charley Bordelon's late father left her 800 sprawling acres of sugarcane land in rural Louisiana is as mysterious as it was generous. Recognizing this as a chance to start over, Charley and her 11-year-old daughter, Micah, say good-bye to Los Angeles.
They arrive just in time for growing season but no amount of planning can prepare Charley for a Louisiana that's mired in the past: as her judgmental but big-hearted grandmother tells her, cane farming is always going to be a white man's business. As the sweltering summer unfolds, Charley must balance the overwhelming challenges of her farm with the demands of a homesick daughter, a bitter and troubled brother, and the startling desires of her own heart. 

My Thoughts:

I want more. But in a good way. The story really pulled me. Imagine you inherit 800 acres of a sugar cane farm - would you know what to do? Where to start? The story follows Charley as she finds her own and makes her own path in a hard situation (and a rough business). 
 
Meanwhile, Raphl Angel (Charley's half brother) is having his own struggles with life decisions that plague and haunt him as he travels through tough times.
 
I would've like more of an emotional connection to the Charley's character as I did Ralph Angel. He literally infuriated me and I found myself wanting to choke him. Charley on the other hand, I'm not sure if she got any emotional pull from me. I would've liked a little more from her character (although I did root for her in the end and wanted her to succeed).
 
I LOVED the performance of Miriam Hyman. She made the characters come alive for me giving each one (literally) their own voices. I would happily listen to anything she reads in the future!
 
Great story. Beautifully written wonderfully performed and awesomely entertaining!
 
4 out of 5 stars.
 
Does this sound like something you would enjoy?
 
~Trish

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for good audios that aren't YA. Thanks for introducing me to this one.

    ReplyDelete